The Waterford, Dungarvan and Lismore Railway took over the running of the Fermoy and Lismore line on August 1st 1882 but the line still had no physical connection with the main Waterford North Station on the north of the Suir.
This changed in 1893 when the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours Company put forward a new scheme to make a link from Ireland to England by means of a rail and port link through Rosslare. An 1898 Act allowed the company to acquire the Waterford, Dungarvan and Lismore Railway as well as the Fermoy and Lismore Railway. As a result, the Great Southern and Western Railway ran the entire line from Mallow to Waterford from August 1898.
It was the Rosslare line of 1906 which completed the East end links at the North Station and delivered to Waterford a sixth route.
The Waterford, Dungarvan and Lismore Line was still not linked to the main network of rail lines, to overcome this problem, the Red Iron Bridge was built in 1906 and after this passengers could travel directly to Rosslare.
Many wealthy families living in London bought summer houses in Killarney and could leave Paddington by the evening express train to Fishguard complete with children and domestic staff.
On arriving at Fishguard the train ran alongside the ship and passengers were able to transfer, thus allowing immediate departure. The ship journey was at least half an hour faster than nowadays, and the train was waiting on the pier at Rosslare when the boat arrived alongside, facilitating another prompt departure. There were of course no customs delays in those days. The train stopped at Waterford around breakfast time, breakfast being served in the dining car of the train. On arrival in Mallow the train took the Kerry line from Mallow, arriving at Killarney around lunchtime.